Delivering good outcomes for the residents and
communities we serve through a constructive, proactive and
objective approach to the consideration, scrutiny and review of
policies, strategies, financial and performance issues.
- To review and develop policy at the
Committee's own initiative or at the request of the Cabinet or the
Public Health Joint Board and make recommendations to the Cabinet,
Joint Committee or the Full Council.
- To oversee major consultations and make
recommendations to the Cabinet, Joint Committee or the Full
- To give advice on any matters as requested
by the Cabinet or the Joint Committee.
- To hold the Executive to account through a
process that seeks and considers necessary explanations,
information and evidence to ensure good outcomes for our residents
- Through proactive scrutiny inquiry work, to
contribute to improving the lives of our residents and communities,
through an active contribution to the Council’s improvement
- To scrutinise key areas of strategic and
operational activity and, where necessary, make recommendations to
the Full Council, Cabinet or Joint Committee in respect of;
i) Matters which affect the Council's area or
ii) Performance of services in accordance with
the targets in the Corporate Plan or other approved service
iii) To provide a clear focus on finding
efficiency savings in accordance with requirements in the
Council’s financial strategy.
iv) To monitor
expenditure against available budgets and, where necessary, make
recommendations to the Cabinet or the Joint Committee.
v) To consider proposed budget plans, service
plans and any other major planning or strategic statements and to
make recommendations to the Cabinet or the Joint Committee.
responsibilities for the Committees are;
‘To exercise a proactive and effective
overview and scrutiny of functions to ensure the effective delivery
of those specific outcomes as contained in the Corporate
Outcomes:- To ensure that people in Dorset are
HEALTHY and INDEPENDENT
Most people are healthy and
make good lifestyle choices….
- Children and families know what it means to
be healthy and happy
- People adopt healthy lifestyles and lead
- People enjoy emotional and mental
- People stay healthy, avoiding preventable
illness as they grow older;
- People live in healthy, accessible
communities and environments.
We all want to live independent
lives and have a choice over how we live….
- Families are strong and stable and
experience positive relationships;
- Children and young people are confident
learners and are successful as they grow
- People remain happily independent and stay
in their own homes for as long as
- People are part of inclusive communities and
don’t feel lonely or isolated;
- People who do need help have control over
their own care.
Membership: 10 members of the County Council not being
members of the Cabinet.
co-optees (voting rights in relation to
education matters only).
a representative of the Roman Catholic Dioceses of
Plymouth and Portsmouth
a representative of Bath and Wells, Salisbury and
Winchester Dioceses and Councils for Education
two parent governor representatives (and two named